ST. ROBERT PARISH
ACCOUNTABILITY: Reports to Pastor
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Oversees all Accounting and Human Resource Functions
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime)
GENERAL SUMMARY: This position assists with the ministry of the parish by performing or seeing all bookkeeping duties to ensure proper maintenance of accounting records, processing of receivables, payables, and payroll. The position also prepares routine and special accounting reports. The incumbent directs these efforts with technical expertise within a framework of shared ministry and Catholic values.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. General Bookkeeping Duties
1. Calculates and maintains accurate balances in bank accounts.
2. Maintains accounting ledger using double entry bookkeeping for receipts and disbursements.
3. Uses an accrual accounting system.
4. Implements electronic funds transfers.
5. Develops and maintains all accounting records and files.
6. Gathers data and prepares regular financial reports for use by the parish and diocese.
7. Prepares a variety of routine accounting correspondence, schedules, forms, and list.
8. Reviews bank reconciliations of the parish and parish organizations.
9. Supervise staff use of paid and unpaid time off.
10. Stay abreast of changes to diocesan benefits, employee handbook, and other related policies. Communicate updates to staff.
11. Maintain open lines of communication with other members of parish staff and committees.
12. Maintain cemetery records and prepare deeds when plots are purchased.
13. Assist in the processing of school registration and awarding financial aid.
B. Specific Tasks to Support the Pastor or Delegate
1. Reviews the payroll and all required withholding taxes and reports.
2. Oversees the accounts payable function to insure bills are paid on time, without incurring late fees and expenses are charged to the proper account.
3. Prepares monthly actual vs. budget reports for each department and finance council.
4. Negotiates some contracts with outside vendors.
5. Oversees the volunteers who count the Sunday collection. Ensures they follow proper audit procedures.
6. Assists personnel in filing for benefits (insurance and retirement). Directs staff to the appropriate support when they have questions.
7. Researches various means to increase parish efficiency in spending.
8. Prepares or assists in preparing the annual report and various budgets.
9. Handles sensitive information confidentially.
10. Posts deposits to the general ledger.
11. Tracks rental receipts to insure payments are received on time.
12. Oversees the collection of tuition and follows-up on delinquencies.
13. Prepares financial statements for raffles.
14. Prepares and files all required 1099’s at the end of the calendar year.
15. Attends monthly finance council meetings and record the minutes.
16. Makes sure supplemental insurance is obtained for outside events held on parish property.
17. Obtain and review monthly financial reports from parish organizations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Education: Associates degree or equivalent with significant coursework in accounting.
Experience: Minimum of three years of experience with standard accounting practices, office procedures, and business etiquette. Must be fluent in Microsoft Excel and Word. Familiarity with accounting software preferred.
Require: Must be a practicing Catholic, active in a parish. Must be able to maintain confidentiality. Some weekend or evening work may be required.
Physical Demands: While performing duties, employee has to sit for long periods of time, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, and answer telephone calls. The position also requires some standing, stooping, and bending while filing. Employee is expected to work onsite, Monday through Friday, with minimal travel.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work of the position. They are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills.